<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\07511630654\46blogName\75Marshall\47s+Web+Tool+Blog\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLUE\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://marshallk.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en_US\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://marshallk.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-1332446749013502443', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Marshall's Web Tool Blog

Training and Consulting in New Tools for Effective Web Use

This site is an archive of posts that I hope you will find useful. Please visit my new site at Marshallk.com.

Softening the interface: RSS and Delicious

So, in my everlasting quest to find the best way to explain RSS feeds to new users short of demonstrating them (by far the easiest way!) I have come up with this: (What's an RSS Feed Reader?) I set it up originally for a client, but I think I'm going to use it on my sidebar as well. If you have a blog or website that you'd like to use that link on, feel free to view the source code, copy and paste it in. The linking code is specially written to make the new window pop up the way it does, so please copy the whole code if you are going to use it.

Del.icio.us, a very popular Social Bookmarking tool that people build add-ons to all the time continues to develop. Social bookmarking will rock your world, in case you don't know. Check out this cool new AJAX tool called del.icio.us direc.tor by Johnvey Hwang. It's very cool, if you've got a del.icio.us account. Someday, del.icio.us is liable to surpass Furl and I'll make the switch. It still has a ways to go, though. I'd love to see the features of Furl mixed with the features of Spurl mixed with the development community of Del.icio.us. Is this too much to ask?

One way or the other, I use Furl for now. My entire furl archive is available here and I syndicate via RSS feeds my Furl categories for Podcasts Downloaded, Search and RSS on the right hand side of this blog's front page. If you are interested in social bookmarking, you can see the top rated items in my Furl archive in my Social Bookmarking category here.

Related: Check out the official blog for Del.icio.us. It's going to be a very interesting contest between them and their competitors. I hope that they can cooperate to a degree, as can be seen in Technorati Tag Search.



Technorati Tags: , , ,
« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »
|