<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d11630654\x26blogName\x3dMarshall\x27s+Web+Tool+Blog\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://marshallk.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://marshallk.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1332446749013502443', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Marshall's Web Tool Blog

Training and Consulting in New Tools for Effective Web Use

This site is an archive of posts that I hope you will find useful. Please visit my new site at Marshallk.com.

Upgrading Comment Systems to Haloscan

"Haloscan commenting and trackback have been added to this blog."

Those words appeared automatically when I used the "easy-install" system at Haloscan to replace the dreadful commenting system that comes with Blogspot blogs. Haloscan is better looking, fasting, simpler to post in and allows anonymous comments even more easily than Blogger does. It also automatically adds trackback features, to show you who is linking to your blog posts. It looks good, a huge number of people have been using it for quite some time, so we'll see how it goes.

Unortunately, I've been having some trouble installing it. The copy and paste code is very unclear, I wasn't able to get it to work. And I consider myself relatively capable. But now I'm using the "Blogger automatic install" provided by Haloscan. I've had to go through that 3 times so far, and I think what I'm going to do now is not trust the instructions when they say I can edit or delete the above automatic posting about Haloscan being added to this blog. So far when I edit or delete it, the comment function goes away. Well, many many people have figured out how to use Haloscan on their blogs, so I'm sure I can too. Hopefully this will be the last we speak of it and it will just work great.


People haven’t been posting very many comments here so far, maybe this new system will make it more appealing. I’d sure like to know more about some of the readers. Like the two regulars in New Jersey and Florida. Who are you people? There are people coming here from interesting places everyday, but I’m really curious who some of the regulars are. I use Statcounter to see who’s visiting and what you are reading. It’s one more web based service that works quite well.

There are so many little services popping up like mushrooms that the competition for users must be getting intense. Probably in part as a result of that, I’ve been very happy with many of the services I’ve found and incorporated into my information input and output practices. It’s really exciting, and I do try to be discerning about what I jump on board with.

But this week has been super blog soup-up week, hasn't it? I'm excited to have a package of services I know how to use - so that I can offer clients advice on what their options are and how to get advanced features on their blogs. Little things, gracefully done, could make quite a difference in a reader's experience. That's my theory for now, anyway. We'll see if feature overload occurs.


Technorati Tags: , , , , ,
« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »
|