<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d11630654\x26blogName\x3dMarshall\x27s+Web+Tool+Blog\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://marshallk.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://marshallk.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1332446749013502443', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Marshall's Web Tool Blog

Training and Consulting in New Tools for Effective Web Use

This site is an archive of posts that I hope you will find useful. Please visit my new site at Marshallk.com.

Newsgator is Down

Now I know that I haven't posted here in several days, and I feel bad about that, but I'm not a huge company with lots of employees and a healthy budget. I'm just me. Newsgator, however, is a big company and so I would like to be able to go to their blog and read some explanation of why their service is currently down and when I can expect it to return. Their blog gets posted to about once or twice a week, and usually just to cheerlead what they are doing.

To be fair, Newsgator has done some great customer service for me in the past. But as a client said to me last week when del.ico.us was unavailable for several hours, "these tools are unlikely to be more widely adopted until they are reliable and intuitive." Now I don't know about the intuitive part, but doesn't it seem like one Web 2.0 service or another is unavailable almost every day?

When I wanted to figure out what was going on with Del.icio.us, I visited the official blog, found some reference to new servers being added, and posted a comment asking "is this why your service was unavailable for parts of the weekend?" The head of the organization posted a response that said, yes - that's why we were having problems. Thank you!

The Newsgator blog makes no mention of service problems that I can see, and does not even allow comments to be posted! Posts are categorized, but there's only one category: "weblogs" Ugh. Has anybody over there read the ClueTrain or not?

I'm going to keep using Newsgator for now, and recommending it to other people. But I'd love to see a free, web-based RSS reader that was more responsive to the Web 2.0 ethos. I'd like to see them openly discuss their up-time, too, like web hosting companies do.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , ,
« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »
|