<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d11630654\x26blogName\x3dMarshall\x27s+Web+Tool+Blog\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://marshallk.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://marshallk.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1332446749013502443', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Marshall's Web Tool Blog

Training and Consulting in New Tools for Effective Web Use

This site is an archive of posts that I hope you will find useful. Please visit my new site at Marshallk.com.

Adding Links for Furl this and save in Del.icio.us



Inspired by the folks over at SkypeJournal, I've added links at the end of each post on this blog to save the article into your social bookmarking database (SBMS). It's pretty easy to do if you have access to your blog program's HTML/CSS template. At the bottom of this post is my version of the code I borrowed from SkypeJournal and inserted into my own site. I know this works with Blogger, the blog software I use, but the protocol might need to be adjusted a little if you are using something else. I'll bet you can figure it out, and if anyone wants any help - just let me know.

The ideas behind doing this here are two. First, it will make it easier for social bookmarkers to save and share the articles I write - more ease of use and better publicity. Second, I hope it will be another form of evangelism (if you will) for social bookmarking tools in general. Hence my "definition" link to my explanation of social bookmarking tools. Another option would be to link to Wikipedia's definition, though I think mine's better in some ways.

OK, so if you are in Blogger you should scroll down in your template until you get to the short part of the code that denotes the basics of each individual posts. The section I'm referring to ends with:

<p class="postmetadata">
<$BlogItemControl$>

Just below that, I added the following:

<!--bookmark this article-->
<br />Bookmark this post in <a href="http://www.furl.net/storeIt.jsp?t=<$BlogItemTitle$>&u=<$BlogItemPermalinkUrl$>" target="_blank">Furl</a> or <a href="http://del.icio.us/post?url=<$BlogItemPermalinkUrl$>&title=<$BlogItemTitle$>" target="_blank">Del.icio.us</a>(<a href="http://digbig.com/4dxgg" target="_blank">definition</a>)<br />

If you try and use this and it gives you problems, let me know. I switched Furl before Del.icio.us because, though I agonize over this regularly these days, I really recommend Furl as the best SBMS (cached screen shots are hard to beat.)

In case you are curious how the code above was postable in a blog, without the blog software reading the code and trying to follow it - I copied and pasted the code from my template, then replaced just less-than signs with the ASCII for that symbol. That's " & # 60 ; " but without the spaces or quotes. Don't forget to be in the "edit HTML" mode when you put that ASCII in, too, if you are trying to post HTML code like this on your blog. Hopefully that won't complicate any one else's efforts to copy and paste this code snippet from here.

Users do need to be logged into their Del.icio.us or Furl accounts in order to use this, but that is what comes up the first time you click a link like this. If not logged in the first time, the links should work fine the second time users click them. One other thing I've discovered is that blog posts with quotes in them don't save properly to Furl using this method. Let me know of any other anomalies you discover.

Enjoy!

Related: My Furl archive on the topic of Social Bookmarking.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,
« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »
|