<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d11630654\x26blogName\x3dMarshall\x27s+Web+Tool+Blog\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://marshallk.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://marshallk.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d-1332446749013502443', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Marshall's Web Tool Blog

Training and Consulting in New Tools for Effective Web Use

This site is an archive of posts that I hope you will find useful. Please visit my new site at Marshallk.com.

Work with the Committee to Protect Bloggers

CPB is a group I'm really excited to work with. I thought I'd mention some of the things I've been doing with them in the last few weeks in case it's of interest to readers.

In order to make it as easy as possible to subscribe to their RSS feed, and thus for their supporters to keep current with their activities, I set up "one-click subscribe" buttons on the side bar of their site for the major RSS reading services. Below those I added a link to my explanation of what RSS is, and a link to CPB's Talkr feed (to hear their articles in MP3 format.)

I showed the group's director, Curt Hopkins, how to access Ping-O-Matic to speed the indexing of new blog entries by search engines (though I now recommend Pingoat instead, as it's more reliable in my experience). I set him up with the Technorati Tag bookmarklet you can find here. We discussed the use of tags to create a collaboratively created attention stream.

I set him up with an account in Furl, with a short lesson on how to use its basic features to save and catalogue web sites he finds in his surfing.

I encouraged him to download Skype, for free long distance phone calls over the internet - anywhere in the world. Hopefully the encouragement and troubleshooting will lead to this being a super helpful tool.

I also created a way for him to be notified automatically when someone new is linking to the Committee's site via a reputation tracking RSS meta-feed: I used Feedjumbler to combine the persistent searches of Technorati, Feedster and Pubsub for the organization's URL.

I think that's most of what we've done so far. Looking at it all together helps give context to the group's director's nice words about my involvement there: "We're very excited at the expertise and experience Marshall brings to our blogging enterprise." Thanks Curt!

Technorati Tags: , ,
« Home | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next » | Next »
|